Due to the popularity of our original MudGuard, Auralex is now introducing a redesigned and completely unique solution for microphone isolation in any environment. The MudGuard v2 uses a new, proprietary convex design which diverts internal shell reflections, offering unsurpassed performance among all microphone shields. Most flat and concave shields tend to focus energy toward the microphone causing unwanted coloration.
The unique, patent pending, multi-radii convex shape of the MudGuard™ v2 is designed to direct any unwanted and off-axis acoustic energy away from the microphone. The non-perforated, solid back on the MudGuard v2 allows for maximum sound isolation by blocking reflected sound from the recording environment to the microphone. The included hardware allows the MudGuard v2 to easily mount to most microphone stands and allows the user the flexibility to adjust the microphone proximity.
MudGuard V2 Reviews:
Auralex Testing Observations:
- If the mic capsule is positioned further into the MudGuard (~3.5 inches from the rear), the absorptive effect of the Studiofoam lining will be apparent as a very dry and somewhat dark presentation to the vocals. This is due to a reduction in the upper mids and higher frequencies making the lower mids more apparent.
- If the mic capsule is positioned about 1/3 of the way into the device (~5.5 inches from the rear) a nice balance is achieved between the reduction of room sound and the natural sound of the mic without phasing.
- If the mic capsule is positioned toward the front of the MudGuard a more live sound is realized as the mic is exposed to a greater amount of room reflections, without the device adding its own colorations.
- Convex Technology Redirects Internal Sound Energy Away from the Microphone
- Solid Shell Reduces External Noise While Filtering Unwanted Overtones
- Minimizes Excessive Room Ambiance and Off-Axis Sound
- Uses Auralex® Studiofoam® for Maximum Absorption Performance
- Mounts Easily to Most Microphone Stands
- MudGuard v2 Dimensions: 16” Wide x 10” Deep x 14” Tall